Tiger lilies are among the most gorgeous and attention-grabbing flowers in the world. If you’re looking to add a touch of beauty to your garden, these stunning blooms are the perfect choice. Fortunately, growing tiger lilies is not only easy, but it can also completely transform your backyard.
Originating in Asia, the tiger lily is a popular ornamental flower that comes in different varieties. Depending on the type, they can grow as tall as 4 feet and are well-adapted to withstand dry conditions.
To get started with growing tiger lilies, here’s what you need to do:
- First, visit your local nursery to determine which type of tiger lily will thrive best in your area.
- If you’re planting from bulbs, it may take a few years for them to fully establish, but once they do, the maintenance required will be minimal.
- You have the option of planting tiger lilies directly in the ground, or in a pot or container.
- These flowers prefer full sun, so make sure to select a location that receives at least 6 hours of sunlight each day.
- Plant them in well-draining soil as they do not like to be waterlogged.
- Water young plants more often and use mulch to retain moisture in the soil.
- Once they are established, tiger lilies only need to be pruned. Trim away any dead leaves, flowers, and branches.
- Maintaining a layer of mulch around the soil helps keep it moist.
- Younger plants require more frequent watering, while established plants can be watered once a week if there’s no rainfall.
- It’s important to note that tiger lilies are toxic to cats, so make sure to keep that in mind when planting.
- Now that you know the basics of growing tiger lilies, it’s time to get started! Roll up your sleeves and create a magnificent garden that will be the envy of your neighbors.